SCM player skins

Sunday, August 4, 2013

We Are Multifaceted

In Chabot's continued quest to make the student the center of attention, two students have created this short film that highlights the different types of people that attend the college. It's interesting to see they created six distinct categories that every student eventually traverses through. The film is called Focusing The Lasers and can be seen below along with a brief description of each category.



Visitors - These students are categorized into the first group. They arrive at Chabot for reasons other than academic and have not adjusted to college life. These students also do not have any clear as to which direction they would like to take their academic career.

Wanderers - Like the Visitors, Wanderers do not have much idea as to what they want to do academically. Their academic and personal skills aren't developed and there is not much in terms of focus. A student sums this category by stating, "...didn't know what to do, just wanted a degree in something." It appears a majority of these students were caught off-guard by the increased expectations of the college environment which is hugely different in contrast from high school.

Explorers - These students are willing to try things and experiment with different fields they may potential be  interested in. However, they are still relatively clueless about their academic and personal skills. As for the direction they want to steer their academic career, Explorers tend to have a general idea of what they would like to do. However, due to the experimental nature of these students the first major they decide on may or may not be the right one and can potentially set them back. In general, they are feeling things out.

Seekers - Seekers are further developed Explorers who have a better idea of their surroundings and what it takes to progress through college. One Explorer says, "[College] seemed like it would be easy, like an easy transition and less scary...because when you're a senior in high school you are starting your life. You haven't really left the nest yet. And it's kind of a scary experience." Seekers have a better grasp on what is expected in college and have come to terms with the the structure and lifestyle required to succeed. Most Seekers have completed the majority of their General Education courses. The most important task at this stage is honing and further developing what they would want to do for their careers. 

Dreamers - Dreamers have a clear and concise idea of what they must do academically in order to achieve their goals. Dreamers are not fully aware of their skills in a professional environment nor have an idea of how or what to do in order to initiate their careers. In short, Dreamers understand what direction they should be going, but are not exactly sure what to do to achieve it.

Lasers - These students are fully aware of what they want out of a college education. They are aware of what they are capable of to the fullest extent and have already explored a multitude of options that will launch their career. Lasers have come to terms that, "You have to be focused, there is no easy way out."

During the outro, the producers made a point to mention a student indicated these interviews are a snapshot of their progress through college. Each and every student interviewed were at any point in at least one of these categories.

After watching the film and considering a number of questions reflecting on the episode, I actually began to see myself in a number of those categories rather than fitting neatly into a single one. More specifically, I see bits of myself in each of the last three categories: Seeker, Dreamer, and Laser.

When it comes to Seekers, I believe I have a good idea of what is expected from me in college and what I expected from the college. The things that can be quantified, such as number of GE classes completed, also reflect the Seeker category. However, until I finally graduate, earn my degree, and finally  launch my career I will always be developing my skills to their greatest potential the college environment will allow. The quote I included was also an excellent reflection of my first experience outside of the high school environment. It was shocking leaving the sheltered and structured lifestyle of high school and thrown into a world where you are finally responsible for your own success. It was like jumping into a frozen lake; I was completely shocked and rudely awaken.

The Dreamer is where I see the majority of myself. Academically, my goals could not be more clear. I am preparing to apply for transfer this coming semester and to do so my affairs must be in order. This would not be possible if I had no idea what academic path to follow. However, the most important reason I see the majority of myself in this category is because I have no idea how to launch myself into the professional field or what is expected from me. My field of study is rather specialized and is not easily accessed without significant connections. Unfortunately, these are things I have not been able to do. After transferring I hope to further understand what needs to be done in college and out of college to prepare myself for the professional field.

Laser is the only field I see myself least in, but hopefully will see more of in the coming semesters. The reason I see myself in this category is because I understand that college is not supposed to be an easy ride and if I am not prepared mentally and physically I will not survive the challenge. I am completely aware of what I want out of my education and what I need to do in order to quench my thirst for knowledge. It has also dawned on me that what I want to do is not easy and it is difficult for a very good reason. Unless I rise to the challenge, I won't meet my aspirations. Again, I hope and want nothing more than to become more like a Laser in the next few semesters as I prepare myself to transfer. I've considered the different possibilities to do so and have decided that this can be done by further branching out to my professors or inquiring about internship opportunities in my prospective field. I'm slowly understanding that you have to take what you want and cannot expect it to drift on by in the future. The onus is on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment